The generic term “whitefish” is used here because this recipe will work with any locally available mild, firm white fish, such as cod, haddock, or halibut.
The images included with this recipe feature barrelfish, a deep-dwelling fish found all along the Atlantic coast of North America. They have also been found along the coasts of Portugal, Spain, and in the western Mediterranean.
Tip: Prepare the tapenade a day or two in advance to allow the flavors to fully develop. This will also cut the prep time for this recipe to just a minute or two.
*Jarred sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil offer time-saving convenience, but they often contain added sugar. If this is an issue, be sure to check the ingredients list carefully or use the dried variety (and reconstitute according to package directions).
No products found.
No products found.
**Use added salt very sparingly, if at all, for this recipe because the tapenade is naturally briny due to the anchovy paste, olives, and capers.
Mediterranean White Fish Recipe with Sun-Dried Tapenade
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped*
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 6-oz.white fish fillets
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste**
- 3 oz Feta cheese, chopped
- 1 large lemon, cut into thin wedges
- Prepare the tapenade by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine, then transfer half the mixture to a food processor and quickly pulse until finely chopped, but not smooth. Return to the bowl and stir to combine with the rest of the tapenade. Cover and set aside. (If preparing in advance, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use).
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Season the fish fillets with salt and black pepper, to taste, and add to the hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until golden brown, then turn and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat on each edge for 1 minute or just until golden. Do not overcook.
- Add the tapenade and Feta cheese to the skillet and cook, stirring continually, just until heated through, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the fillets to individual serving plates. Spoon some of the warm tapenade over each fillet and serve immediately with a couple of lemon wedges and a crispy green salad or your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Did you like “Mediterranean White Fish Recipe with Sun-Dried Tapenade”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2023-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API