This recipe is written for grouper because it is relatively easy to source in many places. If grouper is not available, however, snapper, monkfish, and many other mild, yet firm, white fish can be used instead.
This recipe feature golden tilefish, which is found all along the Atlantic coast of North America from Florida up through New England and into Nova Scotia. In terms of mercury levels, golden tilefish from the Atlantic is considered a “good choice” by the EPA. Tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico are best avoided.
Seared Grouper with Lemon-Thyme Butter Sauce
- 4 cup Baby arugula
- 1 Large avocado, chopped
- 2 cup Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb Grouper or other white fish, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup Dry white wine
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 4-6 Fresh thyme sprigs
Optional: ½ c. Feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine the baby arugula, avocado, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar to a large salad bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the fish and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until it releases easily from the bottom of the skillet.
- Turn the heat down to medium and flip each fillet. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Transfer to a platter and set aside.
- Deglaze the skillet by adding the white wine and gently scraping the bottom with a plastic spatula to release the browned bits. Add the butter, lemon juice, zest, and thyme sprigs. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from heat and discard the thyme stems in the sauce.
- Briefly return the fish to the skillet to absorb some of the warm butter sauce. Transfer to individual serving plates and spoon some the pan sauce on top. Serve immediately with the avocado tomato salad topped with some crumbled Feta cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Did you like “Seared Grouper Recipe with Lemon-Thyme Butter Sauce”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2021-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API