This satisfying recipe features a traditional “stand-and-stir” style risotto complemented by a delicious blend of crisp-tender sautéed vegetables.
Here, a mix of onion, peas, carrots, asparagus, yellow squash, and zucchini add an appealing pop of color, texture, and flavor to a delicious base of creamy risotto.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped small
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped small
- 1/3 cup asparagus, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1/3 cup yellow squash, chopped small
- 1/3 cup zucchini, chopped small
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4-5 cup warm chicken or vegetable broth, divided*
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated + more for serving
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
*For creamier risotto, add additional broth, one-half cup at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to a large high-sided skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peas, carrots, asparagus, squash, and zucchini, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are crisp-tender and start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the Arborio rice to the skillet. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes while stirring continually.
- Reduce heat to medium and pour in the white wine. Deglaze the skillet by gently scraping the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- When the wine is completely absorbed, add one-half cup warm broth to the skillet and cook, stirring continually, until absorbed, approximately 4-5 minutes. Repeat this process with the remaining broth, one-half cup at a time, until the rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables, Parmesan cheese, and lemon zest. Cook for 1-2minutes, or just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh parsley. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese on the side. Enjoy!
Did you like “Risotto Primavera”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.