Instant Pot® Pork Carnitas Bowls
Dry Rub Ingredients:
- 1/2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle powder
- 1 tsp Dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, divided
Pork Carnitas Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 lbs Pork shoulder roast, trimmed and cut into 6-8 chunks
- 3 tbsp Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh lime juice, divided
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
- Combine dry rub ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub mixture onto pork until each piece is thoroughly covered. Presswell to adhere.
- Push the “Sauté” button on Instant Pot® and set to “High.” Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and half the seasoned pork shoulder pieces to the container. Sear until pork is browned on all sides, approximately2-3 minutes per side. Note: DO NOT use lid while using the “Sauté” function on an Instant Pot.
- Once browned, transfer seared pork to a plate and repeat this process with another tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining pork. Remove browned pork from the Instant Pot® and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the container, along with red onion and jalapeño. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add browned pork back to the pot and pour chicken broth, orange juice, and lime juice on top. Add lid and lock into place. Set the steam vent to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Adjust cook time to 30 minutes. (Select 40minutes for 4+ pound roasts).
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the Cilantro-LimeRice and Pico de Gallo by combining the ingredients for each in medium bowls. Stir to combine and set aside until ready to use.
- When the Instant Pot® cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes before doing a quick release of any remaining steam.
- Optional Steps for Crispier Carnitas: Pre-heat the oven broiler to high and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Transfer pork to the prepared baking sheet and gently shred with two forks. Drizzle with ¼ cup juices from the Instant Pot® and toss to combine before spreading into a thin, even layer. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.Place pork under broiler for 4-5 minutes, then remove from oven and add a little more juice before turning the meat to brown the other side. Place back under broiler for another4-5 minutes or until the pork is nice and crispy on the edges.
- When finished broiling, remove baking sheet from oven and assemble the burrito bowls by dividing the shredded pork, Cilantro-Lime Rice, Pico de Gallo, sliced avocado, black beans, and corn between 4to 6 serving bowls. To serve, top with chopped cilantro and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Did you like “Instant Pot® Pork Carnitas Bowls”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.