Many pina colada recipes call for cream of coconut, which is a sweetened version of coconut cream. This refined sugar-free version uses the rich coconut cream found on the top of a can of unsweetened coconut milk. A simple syrup made with powdered monk fruit provides the perfect touch of sweetness to balance out the other flavors.
Note: Simple syrup is normally prepared using a 1:1 ratio of refined white sugar to water. In general, monk fruit sweetener is considered a 1:1 replacement for sugar, but in this case, a 1:2 ratio (one-part sweetener to two-parts water) works well because the pineapple is inherently sweet.
You can use fresh, frozen, or canned pineapple for this recipe. For best results, use fresh pineapple that has been cut into chunks and frozen prior to blending.
Items featured in this recipe and/or photos:
- Powdered monkfruit sweetener
- 15.5 oz. hurricane glasses shown in photos
- Assorted colorful paper straws
Frozen Pina Colada
Sugar-Free Simple Syrup:
- 1/4 cup Powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 cup Frozen pineapple chunks (see note above)
- 8 oz Pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup Coconut cream
- 4 oz Light rum
- 6-8 Ice cubes
Garnish: Fresh pineapple slices
- Prepare the simple syrup by combining the powdered monk fruit sweetener and water in a small skillet. Stir to combine and heat until the sweetener dissolves completely, approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the frozen pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut cream, rum, and one-quarter cup simple syrup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- While the blender is still running, add the ice a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Turn the blender off and remove the lid. Taste and add additional simple syrup, if desired, and blend for another 30 seconds to combine.
- To serve, pour into glasses and serve immediately garnished with fresh pineapple slices. Enjoy!
- Omit the rum and replace it with 1 oz. coconut cream and 3 oz. pineapple juice before blending.
Did you like “Frozen Pina Colada Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on Facebook and Tweet it.
Last update on 2021-07-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API