Tip: Because of the cheese, this recipe works best with a very well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. Even though new cast iron pieces are often marketed as “pre-seasoned,” the cheese may still stick if the skillet hasn’t had time to develop additional layers of seasoning.
Here are some tips to prevent sticking with cast iron cookware:
[Note to Publisher:] Here is the cast iron cookware used to develop this recipe, but any large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet will work.
Crispy Cheesy Cast Iron Hash Brown
- 3 cup Shredded potatoes, patted dry
- 1/2 cup Shredded white onion, patted dry
- 1 cup Cheddar jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried rosemary (or 1½ t. fresh, finely chopped)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil (+ more if needed)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Add the potatoes, onion, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted. Carefully swirl the skillet to ensure the bottom is evenly covered.
- Working in batches, add the potatoes to the skillet and shape into patties. Cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes before flipping. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove hash browns from skillet and keep warm. Repeat Step #3 with remaining potato mixture. Add more olive oil to the skillet, as needed.
- Remove from heat and transfer hash browns to individual serving plates. Serve immediately with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Did you like “Crispy Cheesy Cast Iron Hash Brown Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2020-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API