Do you regularly experience busy weeknights and wished you could find a recipe that is easy and quick to prepare?
Personally, I have never been a fan of shrimp, but then came this dish that changed everything. The very first time I was introduced to this recipe, I couldn’t help but fall in love with its sweet and rich flavor.
If you ever desire to put together a restaurant-quality dish in a matter of minutes, you can’t miss it with Halabos na Hipon.
What Is Halabos Na Hipon
Halabos na Hipon is a simple traditional shrimp recipe in the Philippines. From its name (Halabos), this recipe involves cooking shrimps in saltwater. This is more like a staple in the Philippines and of course great news for shrimp lovers.
I won’t expect anything less with the Philippines being an archipelagic country. There is a handful of wet markets where you can buy plenty of these aquatic beings.
Traditionally, all it takes to put up this meal is boiling wholly unshelled shrimp with water and salt until it achieves a reddish-pink coloration.
This dish is proving that with a few ingredients, one can still come up with a restaurant-quality dish in the comfort of the home.
In recent times, there have many variations and versions in an attempt to enhance and improve this already sweet and delicious dish.
Variants Of Halabos Na Hipon
There are many delectable variations that you can take advantage of to step up the flavor of the dish.
This is a variant of the recipe composed of a mixture of garlic and butter.
The secret behind the delicious taste of this variant is in how well the ingredients get to blend, thus giving it a characteristic light taste.
This fusion also brings a lot of benefits to the table.
Chili Garlic Butter
If you are a spicy lover, this variant is no doubt a perfect option for you. Here you get to add pepper and chilies to the recipe for an enhanced flavor and spice.
It takes little to no time to put together, compared to other variants.
This is where you choose to add oyster sauce to the classic recipe. The oyster sauce is an amazing source of flavor. There’s little to no trace of fat and cholesterol.
Plus, the presence of sodium helps the body maintain a normal balance of fluid.
Troubleshooting Ideas For Halabos Na Hipon
Even the best of Chefs understand that mistakes are unavoidable when cooking. What counts at the end of the day is being able to make it right.
1. When your recipe gets an overly tangy taste, you should add butter for a creamy and milder taste.
2. When your recipes get bland, add a little bit of salt and pepper.
3. If your recipe is too spicy, adding a bit of sugar deflates the spice.
4. If for any reason you want to rescind the sweetness, add some juice of a lime.
How To Serve Halabos Na Hipon
Halabos na Hipon no doubt makes the main dish. But, to make it more satisfying, there many other side dishes and sauces you can serve with:
This is a perfect merger. I find it difficult to stop whenever this is placed in front of me.
2. Diced Green Mangoes
This is generally known as a classic when it comes to Filipino side dishes. In the absence of green mangoes, you can use any fruit you like. It ends up delicious all the same.
3. Vinegar and Minced Garlic Dip
As an all-time favorite Pinoy sauce, it makes a great duo with this favorite Filipino dish too.
Pairing our menu up with fish is a great way of leveling up its taste.
5. Mixed Vegetables
For me, vegetables have always been a great combination with crustaceans like shrimp. You should try it too.
6. Pineapple Juice
This is a perfect way to complete this menu and ensure to have a satisfying meal.
How Nutritious And Healthy Is This Recipe
Shrimp is one of the types of shellfish that is most consumed, whether in its broiled, fried, steamed, or baked state.
Despite the high cholesterol concern of this food, it packs an impressive nutrition profile.
Did you know the shrimp can be good for the heart? It plays an important role in protecting against heart disease thanks to the presence of omega fatty acids.
This food is also one of the most reliable iodine sources which help to uphold the health of the thyroid and brain.
Also, it is a major source of an antioxidant known as astaxanthin which helps to boost the immune system of the body and ward off conditions such as cancer.
This antioxidant also plays a role in protecting and maintaining the health of the eyes and preventing the skin from wrinkle (by enhancing its elasticity and moisture).
This dish is an ideal choice of a meal if you’re looking to get rid of some pounds and many more other benefits.
Extra Tips For Halabos Na Hipon Recipe
- The heat when melting butter should be minimal so it does not get burned
- To help reduce chances of burning, add one spoon of oil in butter and mix
- Stop heat once you notice a change in color of your shrimps
- If you desire more sweetness, you may want to introduce lemon-lime
- Your shrimp should be well-drained to avoid expulsion of too much liquid
Halabos Na Hipon Recipe
Halabos Na Hipon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb large shrimps, head-on
- 1/4 cup 7-up or Sprite
- 3 pcs dried chili, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use scissors to trim off tendrils from shrimps. Wash shrimps and drain adequately.
- Place skillet over high heat, add butter, and afterward oil when it began melting.
- Add garlic to the above mixture and stir frequently while cooking for about 30 seconds
- Add shrimps and continue cooking and frequent stirring for about 1 minute
- Add 7-up and chopped dried chili
- Add pepper and salt seasoning to taste and allow to cook for about 3 minutes. Serve. Enjoy!
Final Words On Halabos Na Hipon
How simple and tastier can you get with shrimp?
The Halabos na Hipon is the perfect meal for those busy days. Another interesting thing about this dish is that you can tweak it to your personal preference.
I hope you find the above content and information valuable. Should you have questions or experience with the Halabos na Hipon dish, I would be glad to hear from you.
You can drop your questions or contribution in the comment section below.
Did you like “Halabos Na Hipon Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.