Here are the cast iron cookware pieces used in creating and photographing this recipe:
but any large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet will work.
For an authentic restaurant-style sizzling fajita presentation – heat the cast iron fajita skillets (link above) in a hot oven while preparing the chicken and vegetables. Transfer the cooked ingredients to the hot fajita skillets and serve immediately.
Tip: The chicken can be sliced before cooking, but it has a tendency to dry out when prepared this way. Cooking the whole breasts takes a bit longer, but the chicken will be juicier.
Sizzling Chicken Fajitas
Fajita Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Medium white onion, sliced
- 2 Large avocados, sliced
- 2 Large limes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts to a large, non-reactive bowl and pour the marinade on top. Turn the breasts to ensure all pieces are equally coated. Allow to marinate at room temperature up to one hour or cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- To prepare the fajitas, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard remaining liquid. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes before turning. Continue cooking another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm. Tip: An instant-read thermometer should read 160 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken. The heat will continue to rise another 5 degrees while the meat rests.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add the sliced peppers and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp tender and nicely browned, approximately 6-7 minutes.
- To serve, cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and divide among cast iron fajita platters, if using, (see tip above) or individual serving plates. Serve immediately with peppers, onions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro, if desired, on the side.
Did you like “Sizzling Chicken Fajitas”? We would greatly appreciate if you share this on your favorite social media channel.
Last update on 2020-08-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API