Note: The glass jars pictured in the photos are for aesthetic purposes only. This is not a canning recipe – directions for storage are included in the instructions below.
Although this recipe takes a little time to come together, the results are well worth it. Making homemade chicken broth is a great way to get more value from a whole roasted chicken and to use up excess vegetables. As an added bonus, the difference in flavor between homemade broth and store-bought varieties is undeniable.
For best results, use a large stockpot for this recipe. If you do not have one, use a large (6-quart or larger) Dutch oven or similar pot. If using a 6-quart pot for this recipe, stir more frequently to ensure exposed parts are submerged during the cooking process.
Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe
- 1 5-6 pound roasted chicken carcass
- 3 Large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 Large celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 Medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 4-5 Large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried parsley
- 1 tbsp Dried thyme
- 1 tbsp Whole black peppercorns (or ½ t. ground pepper)
- 1 tsp Coarse sea salt
- 2 Whole bay leaves
- 12 cup Water
- Place chicken carcass to a large stockpot, then add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic around the chicken. Sprinkle oregano, parsley, thyme, peppercorns, salt, and bay leaves on top.
- Add water and bring to a rapid boil over high heat, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3½ - 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is falling off the bone, remove from heat. Carefully strain the contents of the pot to separate the liquids and solids. Reserve the liquid and the larger pieces of chicken. Store chicken separately in the refrigerator or freezer to stir into soups later and discard the remaining solids.
- Allow broth to cool and transfer to airtight, freezer-safe containers. Freeze for longer-term storage or store in the refrigerator for several days before using it. Enjoy!
Did you like “Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.