The primary difference between a soup and a stew is the amount of liquid used to prepare it. To stretch your grocery budget a bit farther, double the amount of broth (or use a combination of broth and water) and add some chopped greens, such as spinach, kale, or escarole, to make a rich, satisfying soup instead.
Note: Most commercially available Andouille sausage contains some sugar. If this is an issue, check out Niman Ranch (https://www.nimanranch.com/) for information on where to buy their sugar-free version.
Rustic Chicken And White Beans Stew
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced and cut into half rounds
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 3-oz.Cajun andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 t. dried)
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 29-oz.can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, sliced sausage, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken pulls apart easily with two forks.
- Add the cannellini beans and stir to combine. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes, or just until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in fresh parsley right before serving. Enjoy!
Did you like “Rustic Chicken And White Beans Stew”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.
Be the first to comment