The Filipinos are not just known to be rich in beautiful destinations but also undeniably great cuisines. They have a knack for putting together flavors and maximizing any ingredients they find around them.
The result is always unpretentious and palatable food. One food that can testify to this is the Beef Nilaga.
What Is Beef Nilaga?
Beef Nilaga, also known as Nilagang Baka, translates as “Boiled Beef.” It is a no-brainer specialty of the Filipinos, particularly the cattle-grazing provinces of Cavite and Batangas.
It is an ultimate comfort dish that involves cooking beef in seasoned broth until fork-tender. Although it has taken deep roots in the Filipino food culture, it was adapted from the Spanish cocido.
Variations Of Beef Nilaga
Filipinos are known for their changing practices when it comes to food. They are fond of adapting their cooking technique to suit their individual preferences.
Depending on personal preference, you can add more vegetables such as carrots, corn, banana, and string beans.
Health Benefits Of Beef Nilaga
Beef Nilaga ranks top on the list of rich and tasty dishes in the Philippines, thanks to their broth. This beef soup contains many essential nutrients perfect for those without any diet restrictions.
It helps to prevent many serious diseases. Below is a list of the benefit this beef stew provides your body.
- Prevent obesity and diabetes
- Promotes Digestion
- Rejuvenates skin cells
- Prevents against cancer
- Keep the bone away from Osteoporosis
- Fights against Leukemia
- Promotes healthy weight
- Boost the immune system
- Improves cardiovascular system
- Boosts red blood pressure
- Promotes healthy circulation
- Control amounts of Cholesterol
- Promotes heart health
- Helps fast healing and recovery of wounds
- Provides high nutrition for kids
The Perfect Dish For Rainy Days
This light-colored soup is one of the most uncomplicated and effortless Filipino dishes, yet very flavorful and delicious. It typically takes around two-three hours to prepare when you use a regular stove-top pot.
The goal is always to allow the beef chunks to tenderize and for the soup to procure the beef-like flavor deeply. This dish is often prepared and perfect for rainy days and the cold season.
- Rinse beef chunks in water.
- Place a big pot of water over medium heat.
- Add beef, onions, garlic, and peppercorns and allow to boil. Skim off extra fat floating the surface.
- Add beef bouillon with seasoning of fish sauce and allow to simmer until the beef gets tender. Add water if needed.
- Add more fish sauce, pepper, or salt where needed.
- Stir in eggplant and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook some more - 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately serve over hot steamed rice.
Final Words On Beef Nilaga Recipe
The Beef Nilaga has won the hearts of the Filipino and has become a favorite in most families. It is nothing short of the epitome of comfort food.
As much as it is commonly associated with those rainy and blustery seasons, it can be prepared all through the year. If you ever consider trying out Filipino cuisine, this is probably a great option to start with.
I hope you found this post valuable. If you have any questions or you want to share your experience with the beef Nilaga, feel free to drop them in the comment section below.
Did you like “Beef Nilaga Recipe (Nilagang Baka)”? We would greatly appreciate it if you share it on your favorite social media channel.